Tricare-for-Life Retirees need to understand a new decision made by the Deprtment of Defense. After October 1, 2013, Tricare-for -Life retirees who formerly went to VA hospitals for serviceable and non-service conditions, will now be charged for non-servicable medical conditions. You will have to pay 80% of the costs of those services at the VA hospital. Tricare will pay for 20% and you will be charged the remaining 80%. For treatment for non-service related conditions go to a Medicare contracted hospital. At the Medicare contracted hospital Medicare will pay the 80% and Tricare-for-Life will pay the 20%.
The Department of Defense announced in September that the rules are changing because they “discovered” that for 10 years the VA has been “incorrectly” treating TFL non-serviceable heath conditions. What the DOD said was “it was a mistake.”
Call Barbara Nagel 510-206-7330 for more information. I will send you the articles or just google the new TFL information yourself.